Thursday, December 16, 2004

One week since Darrel's Death

Thursday December 16, 2004
It has now been over a week since the concert shooting. I am still in shock that such a thing could happen in a post September 11th world. Of all the days for it to happen on Dec. 8, the anniversery of John Lennon being shot and killed. These last few years have been hard on the music world. The Rap/Hip Hop world lost 3 members and metal has lost so many. Texas metal has lost both Dave Williams of Drowning Pool and Dimebag Darrell. We even lost a fans at a Shadows Fall concert here in Tampa Bay last year. In this shooting we lost 3 other lives of those trying to save Dimebag (not including that of the killer). Why? I had been at a Korn concert the night before. Security was pretty tight there because it was at a big venue (which now may be shut down for noise violations at the Korn concert--it made national news). I never expected anything dangerous to happen in a small club. I went to the Devastation Across the Nation show in Tampa (Ybor City) on October 28, 2004. I went there to see Shadows Fall and had to leave early, but something told me I should stick around for a couple songs from Damageplan. I stayed for 4 songs, but then I had to leave. I was right up near the front in a small club like the one in Ohio. I thought to myself, I missed Damageplan because I got sick in April (Livestock/Headbanger's Ball show) and now I've got to leave early, but I will go see them when they play later. There will never be a later. I was never really a big Damageplan or Pantera fan before the shows, but seeing them play was something else. I am horrified that this happened at a small club. I am saddened that this happened right in front of his brother. My thoughts go out to friends, family, and fans. Both Headbanger's Ball and Uranium did a really good job on their tribute shows. Juliya (of Uranium) appeared to have a really hard time with this as did Dave Mustaine (who filled in for Jamie on HB). I am sure that Metal Masters will do the same after the holidays. This is all just so hard to believe.

Justin